Does your office appear to be in a slump lately? Try one (or all) of these 7 methods to instantly boost office morale.
1. Brainstorming Sessions – Meetings with a strict purpose are necessary, however many times the best ideas are generated when simply sitting down for a good brainstorming session. Get feedback from staff, and listen, because they are the ones doing the work day in and day out. When employees feel that their ideas are valued it will instantly boost morale.
2. Office birthdays – Everyone should be recognized on their birthday. Whether it’s a simple email or shout out, or something more elaborate, making employees feel special on their birthday can go a long way. Organizing a “birthday buddy” program, in which each employee is responsible for bringing in a treat on someone else’s birthday is a fun way to include everyone.
3. Incentives – A little healthy competition never hurt anyone. Have a contest, or offer an incentive for all employees that reach a goal. Offering different, but consistently often incentives will keep staff excited and hopeful for what might come next.
4. Have a pot luck – Who doesn’t love a good old fashioned potluck? Simple to put together, it gets everyone involved and gives staff something to look forward to and be excited about. Bonus: you often get new recipes!
5. Email a meme to everyone – Do it and see what happens.
6. Keep up the dialogue – Too often are we finding ourselves communicate via email, texting, IM, and by using technology in general. Nothing perks you up like an actual conversation. Have more meetings, create a common area (even if just a water cooler), or anything to keep the excitement and conversation going. When coworkers are getting along, everyone’s happy. Of course, there is such a thing as too much socializing in the office! Find the line and keep it mostly professional.
7. Demonstrate trust – Employees who can trust their manager or supervisor will work harder and be more loyal. Don’t talk negatively about other employees, and always be discrete.